Monday, June 27, 2005

ONE TREATMENT LEFT JUNE 27TH

Wow, its hard to believe only one more Chemo treatment left. Started the morning off at 0830 this morning at the Cancer Center. They had blood drawn and took x-rays of my chest. My blood counts were very good. White count was up to 14.2 which is high. It normally runs 4.7-10. This is the highest it has been since I started. The lowest it has been is 2.2. I only have to have two booster shots between now and the next treatment. The nurse said that is real good, most people require a lot more booster shots. My x-rays came back good. The doctor said that I was going to finish treatment as originally prescribed. That means I get to take my last chemo treatment with all the goodies in it. He asked what I did this last weekend and I told him I took my daughter camping and rode jet skis all weekends. He looked at me like I was nuts. He asked if I wore a lot of sunscreen, and I told him I did. Amy came by the hospital on her lunch break. Julie, Mallory , and Avery came by to visit at treatment. My dad, Todd and Tanner also stopped in.

Im feeling ok right now Im just so excited about being done with chemo on July 11th. Its been one hell of a trip. I cant believe I made it this far. It easy to sit an write about how you make it through it but actually living it is something else. Cancer patients are hero's, all of them. Im so proud of myself and have learned more since March 17th than I have learned my entire life.

I also had a fellow Hodgkins killer visit me today. His name is Jeff and he is about my age. I think we are the only two Hodgkin's patients in the Wichita Cancer center. He just finished his chemo about a month ago. He was stage 4 and endured 15 rounds of ABVD chemo. He was so positive. He also said he has learned a lot, and lives life a lot different now. He had to stop chemo one treatment prior to his prescribed 16 treatments. He lost 40% of his lung function and was told he may only recover to 80%. He told the doctor he will get it all back and he said he feels great. Jeff finds out In July if he has to have a bone marrow transplant or if he is finished with treatments. Lets all say a prayer is he done and can get on with a cancer free life.

Also had to take my work dog "Moose" to the vet today. He had an allergic reaction to something. He got a shot and took some benedryl. How ever you spell it. Ended up having a long conversation with my vet. Turns out he is a lymphoma cancer survivor also. He won his fight many years ago. Its good to talk to survivors mainly because they have survived and also because they know what your going through. Like I have said many times cancer sucks and it is one of mans biggest enemies. However, cancer also makes people very strong it makes person thankful for life. I hope that I can continue to live and think like I do now for the rest of my life. I am thankful for a second chance.

I said it in the beginning your positive attitude is everything. Your mind is a powerful thing. I had about 3-4 rough weeks where I wasn't as positive as I should have been and its was the period I was the sickest. Nothing is going to get me down now Im too close to remission.

Thought for the day, " In the end have no regrets and make choices you can live with". God doesn't answer all your prayers nor does he make decisions for you. He gives you choices. As you live life you encounter forks in the road. Its up to you to make the right decision. If you take the wrong road you will live with your decision until YOU fix it.

Thanks to everyone. You all have made the journey much more comfortable.

Still kicking Cancers ass and its about time for the knockout.

There is a good Hodgkins survivor story under cancer survivor in links section.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could I let time get so far away from me that I have failed to stay in touch, haven't seen you for so long? I really do apologize for being so wrapped up in my "stuff" that I haven't been in contact with you. I guess I was assured that Amy and everyone else was taking good care of you. I really do feel very badly, but I did check into your web site today and was relieved to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you. It sounds like you've fought the good fight and won!! Despite my hectic life lately, I have been thinking alot about you and felt confident that Amy would keep us posted on your progress. She did tell us you weren't sleeping well, but was able to get something from the doctor to help with that. Ah, doctors, aren't they great!! We're going to my brother's in Topeka over the 4th, but we'll get in touch with you after that to spend some time with you Amy, her kids, your kids, and whoever else would want to be in our company. We love you, Jason, and, as always, our thoughts and prayers are with you. P.S. You're probably very ready for some more food from me to microwave. Mary

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason
I am so happy for you and so very proud of you. All our prayers are with you!
Love
Deborah & Family

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason, I knew you would lick this cancer, Iam so happy. Are are my Hero....Love Mom

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home