Tuesday, May 03, 2005

TREATMENT THREE

May 2nd, 2005 ABVD Treatment #3

Saw Doctor before treatment. Blood count still holding up good. Prescribed new medication to help with nausea I had the first 3 days after last treatment. He replaced prochlorperazine with dexamethasone it works but makes you eat like a horse and not sleep. I only have to take it for 3 days. Asked about radiation after chemo and it looks like 20-25 treatments.

Treatment was long again. Lasted 6-7 hours. Had problems while recieiving DTIC drug. It is causing burning and tracking of veins. Had to slow med intake and use extra saline. Meet with surgeon this week to explore having porta-cath put in chest. This is a port to hook a IV into that is surgically place under the skin. It makes treatments a lot easier and saves your veins in your arms. Most people get them in the beginning. I tried to make it without it because we were concerned the bullet proof vest I wear at work would rub on port site. We are going to see what we can come up with.

Also learned that if you are getting Adriamycin dripped you might want to request to have it pushed by nurse with syringe. It is a lot safer this way, that is some wicked stuff. I had different nurse this time and she won't do it any other way. By wicked I mean if this stuff gets on skin or tissue it like pouring battery acid on you.

On to better things, I had this treatment in different chemo room, with only 3 chairs and a TV you can actually see. It was much more comfortable. I also learned the inside on how to get into these rooms each time. It pays to be nice to the nurse.

My Mother went to this treatment and to my doctors appointment. Like I said if you can get somebody to hang out with you for a while it really helps. Thanks Mom.

As far as hair it is still around but showing a few signs of getting ready to depart. I also gained another 3 pounds for grand total of 6 since treatment started. Actually this is pretty common with this type of chemo. The doctor said not to worry about it and dont diet during treatment just keep eating. However he also said don't gain 30 pounds! So long til next time.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Jason, as Amy's mother, I must say I am very impressed with your candor. I had to really fight the tears, not because of your plight, but because you are exposing a very personal and impressive part of your feelings. I admire you for that as most men tend to suppress feelings of vulnerability. You are very brave for putting it all out there for everyone to see. I recently talked to one of your Wichita PD co-workers who remembers you well. He said you really were a special, great guy to work with. You were not one of these typical "macho" guys who wore a badge, but a really nice, regular guy. I knew he wasn't saying this because he felt sorry for you because he did not know what you are going through when he said what he did, so his words were genuine. You know not to worry about the bald head. You know bald is definitely beautiful because I have two other men in my life who are very beautiful people so you'll fit right in. Jason, you know we love and support you. Thanks for helping us to understand the scope of your treatments and what you have to go through. There are many times most of us don't quite know what to say or ask, but this web site is a very helpful resource for everyone involved in your life and who love you!!! You are always in our hearts and prayers!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I would say something profound, but Mom has said it all. All I can do is re-emphasize Mom's sentiments...we are here for you, Jason!

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy! Thanks for taking the time to share this with all of us. We are all in this fight with you. You are showing a great amount of courage in dealing with this cancer. And I truly believe with your fight and all of our support you will conquer this. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers daily. And Amy, thank you, with what Jason has told me, you have been unbelievable with the support you are giving him. JJ, take care and I'll see you later this week.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, What a great web site.
THANK YOU..
Thank you for sharing your story.
I have learned a lot about Cancer in the last year since my brother was diagnosed but I don't think you can ever know enough.

Jason you are a very speical friend to this family and I just wanted you to know you are in our thought and prayers daily.
I know you are a fighter and you will not give up until you have conquered the fight.
We will be fighting with you all the way.
Jodi

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all the way everyday. If there's anything you need don't hesitate to ask. You are as much of a part of our family as anyone. You are the brother I never had. So please, let us help when needed. Justin, Jodi, Tanner, Kali, & Keegan

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason
We are very sorry for what you are going thru and you are in our thoughts and prayers daily. And we also have you on our prayer chain at church. You are very brave and I am so proud of you. If you ever need anything please let me know. We are just a phone call away. 580-894-5744. May God be with you each step of the way and always. With All our Love Richard, Deborah, Ginny & Nathen

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason...It saddened me to hear about your battle with Lymphoma. After reading your story I am truly in admiration of your bravery and courage. My thoughts and prayers are with you. AJ (Andria Jones)

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home