Sunday, May 01, 2005

TREATMENT ONE

April 1, 2005 ABVD Treatment # 1

My first trip to what I call the Chemo room. A room with about 15 recliners and a TV. Not what I expected but I guess I didnt know what to expect. One person after another coming and going. Basically all the drugs are given by IV. The first treatment took about 6 and half hours. I had pictured about a 45 minute procedure, I was wrong. The first two treatments require an 1 hour observation to check for reactions to one of the drugs. Everything went well with the first treatment met a lot of great people. It was odd a room full of people with a awful disease and they all had such positive and outgoing attitudes. The nurses were also great.

I was told that after the first treatment it is common to have a fever the first night. I was also informed of the other side effects. My first night came and went without anything unusual. It was not until the fifth day after treatment that I experienced anything out of the ordinary. I woke up at about 3am and had a sharp pain in my right arm. The pain would come and go about every 30 seconds from my elbow to my finger tips. I thought I was having a heart attack. My heart rate seemed to be very slow. I waited for it to stop but it continued and I finally called my doctor. I had already had a lab visit scheduled the next day so he said he wanted to she me when I came in for that. Long story short the pain continued for three days straight then diappeared not to return. I was told it was probably nerves being pinched from the mass in my neck decreasing in size. No other side effects encountered from first treatment. My dad was the lucky co-pilot on this trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home