Saturday, April 30, 2005

STAGING

March 28th, 2005 I met with Dr. Johnson in Wichita at the Cancer Center of Kansas. This was my first chance to find out information on the cancer I had and what the treatments would be. The doctor asked me if I knew what I was dealing with? I told him I only knew what I had learned on the internet. He said I want you to know first of all is that this cancer is curable. However I must also say that nothing in onocology is 100%.

He then examined the area of my neck where the cancer was present. He asked for history of how long I had lump and how I was diagnosed. He stated that it was highly unlikely that I had Hodgkin's for the 12 years I had the lump. He said that the lump may have been something else and the cancer just started in the same area. He also asked if I had any symptoms prior to diagnosis. I advised I had fatigue and night sweats. Then came the fun part. He advised that they had to do a bone marrow biopsy to see if cancer had spread into the bone. For those of you who have not had a BMB be thankful. It is absolutely the most painful thing I have experienced.
Blood was also drawn for lab test. I was then scheduled for a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvic area and a PET scan. These test were to check if cancer had spread to these areas. I was also scheduled for breathing test and echocardiogram to make sure my lungs and heart were strong enough for chemotherapy. At this time the doctor stated that I was staged at a stage I until results of test came back.

I was told that was was going to have Chemotherapy for 3-4 months and they were going to follow up with radiation. The number of cycles depended on staging after test.

On April 1, 2005 oh how I wish this was a April fools joke but it was not I met with the doctor to get the results of my test. The PET scan showed that the area with cancer in my neck was large and had started spreading up the side of my neck. It also showed a small area below my diaphram in my lower back area. I was told I was a stage I to a stage II based on area in my neck and that clinically was a stage III because of area below my diaphram but he was saying stage II since area was so small. He advised the treatment was the same no matter what he staged me at. He did say that I was going to have to have 4 cycles of chemo instead of 3 and radiation would follow. My bones came back clean. I started my first Chemo treatment after the appointment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home